By Ed Clement
The numbers say it all:
• There are more SELF-STORAGE facilities in the United States than
McDonalds and Subway locations combined – and more are needed
to meet growing demand.
• SELF-STORAGE is now a $39 billion per year industry – and
projected to grow more than $1 billion per year for the next 10 years.
• Demand for SELF-STORAGE is strong – driven by such factors as
divorce, death, downsizing, and relocation plus by growth in
population, the number of renters, and household size.
• SELF-STORAGE is recession-resistant– when the economy is strong,
people buy more things and when the economy is weak, people
downsize, preferring to store their things rather than get rid of them.
• Unlike many business sectors, SELF-STORAGE is less price
sensitive to price increases – once consumers become tenants,
they want to avoid moving their possessions, so they do little or
no comparison shopping.
• 1 in 10 American families currently rents a SELF-STORAGE
unit – that’s up from 1 in 17 reported in 1995, making SELF-STORAGE a huge untapped market.
• Competition is limited and fragmented – of the approximately
52,000 SELF-STORAGE properties nationwide, only 10% to 12%
are owned by large operators, while more than 85% are owned by
“Mom and Pop” entrepreneurs.
The Storage Authority team is excited to guide you on your journey to becoming self-storage owners. Let's build one for you!
Is it time for you to learn more? I would be happy to have a 15-minute call and review the highlights of how Storage Authority can help make your self-storage goal a reality. Ed 727-946-0745
Ed Clement is a franchise director at Storage Authority. One of his passions and responsibilities is helping franchisees find land by sharing how to find land both online and offline. Ed has a strong background in real estate, investment banking, and management consulting. He is available at Ed@StorageAuthority.com or 727 946 0745 to answer your questions and share the Storage Authority Franchise opportunity.